8.13.2010

DIY Tin Accent Sign Tutorial


This little project goes with another picture window project I'm finishing up.
But I thought it might be helpful to give this cute little tin sign it's own quick tutorial post :)




First I cut some tin that I had into the dimensions I wanted, using tin snips.
Then I printed the word that I wanted, in vinyl... but used the empty space of the decal, instead of the actual letters.
I did this, because I wanted to use the vinyl sort of as a "stencil".
I wanted the lettering to look distressed, and vinyl would look a little too "crisp" for this project.



I taped around the rest of the exposed metal that I wasn't painting.



Sprayed the whole thing with white spray paint.



Peeled the tape and vinyl off...



To expose the white letters.
Then I took some fine grit sandpaper and roughed up the paint a bit.
It gave it a pretty cool effect on the metal, and on the painted lettering.
(be careful not to rub TOO hard.  The paint will just completely come OFF, if you aren't gentle)






Then I took my Crop-a-Dile tool and punched some holes in the top of the sign.






Ran some white cording through them...
and DONE! :)



13 comments:

  1. Very cute! I like this tutorial--nice and simple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really cute!!! I got my vinyl today...can't WAIT to get it up on the wall. I'm SOOOO excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have never though of distressing when painting on metal... I like the effect :)

    ~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Thanks for sharing that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cute! And I love it in your little picture window! Gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I double hearts this project!!
    So simple & pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your site and all the ideas! This would look so great with all the stainless in my kitchen and help mix cottage with modern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you get such a crisp edge on your tin with the snips. I always get this nasty edge that could slice a finger off!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, but very curious where you get your vinyl letters. Are you printing them yourself with something or do you order them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your ideas!! You seem to use a lot of vinyls. Are you printing them yourself with something or ordering them from somewhere? Would love to know how to find them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I realize you did this project a while ago...where did you find the tin?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis