4.20.2010

White Ruffle Pillow Tutorial

I know... it's NOT the table.
(Which by the way, I talked to my sister today, who lives in AZ and she said that the table looked huge, like a game or dining room table.... It's NOT! lol.  It's maybe all of 30 inches wide!... Did it look that big in the pictures???)

I'm done with it... I just ran out of light today, to take a picture.
So I'm leaving you with my FIRST EVER ruffle... ANYTHING!
LOL.
I made this pillow for Aubrie's bed.
I think it went pretty well!

Here's my "tutorial" for this:


I'm sure that the world does NOT need another ruffle pillow tutorial, but just in case... and I'm sure that this goes against ALL pillow makin' technique, but it's how I roll... mmm-k?
:)

First I took strips, about twice as long as my pillows length and sewed a hem on either side, like so.
(sorry for the picture quality... it was late)


Then I used my ruffle footer... which I have a love/hate relationship with, as well...
ONLY because..............


..........THIS guy has to help me use it everytime... and it's NOT his favorite activity.
(ya... my husband sews better than I do......... what?)

We were both laughing SO hard when I took this picture, because he didn't want me to take it, that's why it's so blurry...  OH... and it was midnight so we were a BIT slap-happy. LOL.
  You'all aren't doubting his manhood... are you? :)
Don't say, either way... he may read the comments. lol.
But I think it's hot!
And I REALLY wanted to use this ruffle footer thing, that I had bought... so I HAD to get some help from an expert... right?


oookay... so all the ruffles are done!


Cue, morning light!
(Oooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

Finished, ironed out ruffles.


Sew them on a piece of fabric a bit bigger than your pillow form
(to leave room for sewing the seam together on all the edges)


Sew on the back side of the pillow
then sew ONE side... and THEN shove the pillow in.
(see... really technical!)


THEN!
This is probably the most messed up part, for ANYONE who is a better sewer than I am
(which is probably most of you)

PUSH that pillow ALL the way down to the end of the form you have made...
Shove the open end of the pillow into the sewing machine, and stitch that, open-end-up!
lol.
(I know... I know... no need to tell me that I should of hand stitched it, or put a zipper on, or a back entrance for the pillow.......... just give me props that I didn't break my needle, or machine, for that matter, in the process, of cramming that ENTIRE pillow under my poor little "Simple Sewer"  LOL)


Throw it on whatever bed you choose, and done!


I love it!  It just adds that extra touch of girly.
.
.
.
And I totally feel like this house is LACKING that!
(rolling my eyes)
lol. jk

26 comments:

  1. You are a NUT! Yes, you totally did that wrong, but as I always say ~ahem~ "one of the big things to being a good seamstress is knowing when IT DOESN'T MATTER! And no one will see it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I need that ruffle foot thing for my sewing machine! I have ruffles to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha, ha! This is the most entertaining tutorial by far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley,

    I'm stopping by to thank you for linking up to my blog roll!! Sorry it's taken me so long to stop by and say thanks. Busy busy!

    But also, you know I love you! Your pillow is totally fab and it makes me CRAVE a sewing machine. I NEED to get one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally in love with this pillow! I can't wait to make it. And thanks for including the link for using a ruffler foot - I would've had no idea!
    I posted a link on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/04/ruffle-pillow.html

    Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Shelley! Great job! I haven't even taken my sewing machine out of the box yet (got it in December) so you are WAY ahead of me with your sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY pretty and we love the peek of a polka dotted blanket that we spy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that pillow. So cute. I'm not sure I could do it though, I am sewing illiterate. It just frightens me to death. I guess I will stick to the power tools.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! Love it!!
    Good luck today! I am sure that you did awesome!! So-since you are a pro-will you make me a ruffle pillow?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious!!! It may or may not have occured in my house too where my hubs has to finish what I've started or can do it better than me ;)
    Cason is such a good sport!!

    Oh, and the pillow looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya the table totally looked larger to me too! So its just a side table type size? Can't wait to see everything! -Karlie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it!!! And a ruffle footer??? Who knew?? Not me! I am new to sewing so I am still learning to thread the needle! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay!!! that's HILARIOUS! sam is a better sewer than me too :) lol!
    very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello sweet Shelley - I'm a new follower to your blog. I just had to laugh at this post. I too have a hubby who "helps" me with my projects. He's the bomb spray painter. If you visit my recent post, you'll see a pic of his arm (he didn't want to be fully photographed LOL). I showed him this post and we both had a good belly laugh. He said it's good to know there's someone else out there who loves their wife as much as he loved his!

    Your ruffle pillow turned out so FAB! I {heart} ruffles on anything. Makes me want to get a ruffler. But first I must have a sewing machine. Then I need to take a class on how to sew.

    Better yet, would you consider selling me a ruffled pillow cover?

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant wait to try out this super cute tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is cute!! Can't wait to give it a try.

    Thanks!

    Liz
    Loving This Mom Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  17. ADORABLE...hmmm, think I could get away with it being in a home of 1 girl, 3 boys?

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha you sound like a REAL FUN person!! I'm a New follower here!!! I have sewn a few things in my life...key word..."few" including a few throw pillows...and I did it all with NO knowledge of really what I was doing...and I did the EXACT same thing as you did with my pillows...scrunch..and shove free fabric in machine to close!!!LOL!!! I didn't know there was a "right" way!!LOL!!! OH well!!! I recently redid a lampshade that has a ruffle on the top you should check it out!! Would be cute as an accent to your pillow!!
    www.coutureunraveled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Shelly!
    I'm Robin from keephomesimple.blogspot.com
    Just wanted to let you know that I made a ruffle pillow following your directions and linked back to you on my blog.
    You have an amazing blog and a beautiful home!
    I LOVE your style!
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Shelly, Love your blog! I too am always trying to creat Pottery Barn looks on a Kmart budget! I will be looking forward to more of your great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness!!! I am cracking up laughing. I am laughing so hard I'm crying. My 9 month old son is laughing because I'm laughing, and my husband is laughing because he's laughing. This is so hilarious only because I just made some ginormous couch pillows and tried to sew those suckers closed!! I was literally sweating and my hubby was helping me hold the fluffy pillow back. It was a mess!! but I got them closed! I LOVE your blog. I think I've been reading for an hour now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great tutorial and I LOVE the pillow! I need the ruffle foot for my sewing maching! I just discovered my love for sewing and I learned everything from my amazing husband!! He is the most manly man you will ever meet but he knows all there is about sewing!! I love it!! haha I love saying that my husband taught me how to sew. :) Anyways, I love your blog :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this pillow!!! I'm a beginner sewer, so this is a perfect project for me to challenge myself with :) Thanks so much, P.s just found this website and I'm loving it!!!!

    "love who you are"
    Ashley
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ItsSoAshley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis