6.21.2010

Table Decor Tray Revamp

A few weeks back I picked up a couple of things at my local thrift store.
Surprised? lol
This brown metal tray was one of them.


Funny story.
When I saw this cute tray I immediately picked it up and put it in my cart.... then I wheeled around for a while... took it out... picked it BACK up...
and then took it out again.
lol
I'm trying REALLY hard to use what I already HAVE...and not buy more stuff (more on that later)
... unless I can use it RIGHT away!
And I KNEW I loved this tray... but I just couldn't think where I was going to put it!
Then... as I was standing in the checkout line to get my little frames... a light bulb came on!
On the kitchen table!!!
So I turned my cart around... headed back to get it... and it was GONE!
Noooooooooooooooooooooo! (okay that's dramatic, but I was bummed, to say the least)
So... I dragged my feet and my squeaky cart BACK up to the front of the store...
... when I saw "THE TRAY"
.
.
.
It was in ANOTHER lady's CART!
Oooooo!  No she DI'INT! lol jk.

TOTALLY my fault, right?  How DUMB of me!

Anyway, I watched the lady as she unloaded all her things and payed for her purchases... 
and MY tray! :(
But then... like a blessing from above... 
HER CREDIT CARD DECLINED!
:)
(ps.  I've TOTALLY been there!  It sucks!)
She didn't have any other form of payment and then said to the checkout lady... 
"eh, I didn't NEED anything really, anyway"  and walked out the door.
SWOOP! 
Me: (acting all innocent, like I just saw the tray for the first time) 
"Um... can I buy that tray, if that woman isn't?"

LOL LOL LOL.

I know... a crazy story for a $3.00 tray, right?
The moral of the story is... KEEP EVERYTHING YOU WANT or even MIGHT want... IN YOUR CART, when you are thrifting, RIGHT until you are ready to checkout!
haha!

Here's what she looks like now.
Nothing extremely dramatic, just a little sprucing up.
Some white spray paint and some light distressing.
I think that the layering effect, with the pitcher and the contrast between the black table, just adds that little "pop" :)
Pretty cute for only about $4.00 (with spray paint)
What was I thinking EVER leaving her behind??? lol



35 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a beautiful makeover you gave this tray! It was hard to see all those lovely details when it was brown. Im lovin it white:)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do love what you did with your tray! Glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I call that a sign that you were meant to have that tray! Love, love, love it in white!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I must admit, I don't think I would have seen the potential beauty of that tray. You go girl! Sometimes the shopping gods smile down upon us. Congratulations on a transformation well done. Camille :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really funny story! I can see that happening to me b/c I pass a lot of stuff up on my first round that I end up grabbing (eventually) before I leave. I too completed a tray makeover this weekend (it was FREE)!

    -Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stalking Trays in thrift stores is totally normal in my world.~olive~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tray looks great! Love it in white! Hilarious story too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new white tray! It was definitely worth the thrift store saga!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute tray. Love the "after". I learned this lesson while shopping thrift stores. I grab it and put it in my cart and then as I'm paying I make my final decision to keep or not. So great you were able to get it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally cute. The arms and finial totally make it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did to the tray! It looks fabulous now! I know what you mean...I'm trying hard to use what I have...but that was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a HOOT!!!!! I've done the same thing and Jerry will walk behind me and grab it right back up....cuz he knows I will go back and get that frame or those mason drinking jars. I found a blue mason jar in a group of 3 others for $3--- I yelled out SCCCOORREE!! Jerry just ducked his head and said" I guess you found what you wanted!!! " I looooove the green geraniums ...I was just looking at those at HL!!!! You just gave me an idea!!! Love you Shelley!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been there!! Really, this is a great makeover, it was meant to be white! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL...too funny! The tray turned out super cute :) I've been looking for a cute tray too! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it...and I've had the same bad experience, if I can't find a use for it put it back...I tell myself sometimes as I roam around a store, If it's meant to be it will be there when you walk past it after your done shopping...look at it again and ask yourself do you want it...then a lightbulb moment hits where I can use it but most times it's gone...when will I learn my lesson...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a funny story!! I'm glad you got your tray...it looks great. I'm hosting a giveaway and I'd love it if you stopped by!

    Laura @ along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is hilarious. I have so put something down and walked away realizing I had to go back for it and it was gone. I then hunted down the person who had it and hoped and prayed they would put it down as I had before. Most of the time it didn't work in my favor. I'm glad it did for you. I love how you transformed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a lovely tray! I see why it was swooped up so fast after you put it down. Glad you ended up with it. It is awesome white.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Shelley! I laughed out loud and had to tell my husband that story! You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! I know this all too well. I am forever lamenting over whether or not to buy something (and more times than not it's only a $3 or under purchase we're talking about!). I have even gone so far as to go BACK to the store after having left, praying all the while that the said item was still there waiting for me! I love your score & it was SO worth the $3!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was meant to be yours! You did such a nice job making it look pretty in white!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy freakin' cute!!! This tray is SO darling! Hey, and your pictures look like they are straight out of a PB catalog!!

    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are too funny!!! But, what a great find :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the tray! I've totally done this before...in the cart, on the shelf, back and forth. Guess it was meant to be yours! Next time keep it in the cart!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute Shelley!

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So funny! I'm sure that lady would feel MUCH better if she knew that her credit card being declined made your day. ;) I totally love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute! And the back story is so funny! I'm glad you got it after all, cuz it's super cute now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cute tray, great job! Funny story too. I'll definitely take your advise on leaving everything in the cart till the checkout.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Adorable tray. I have the habit of filling my cart and only buying half of it. I grab the things I like then decide what to buy as I shop. The cashiers probably hate the load of stuff that has to be reshelved.

    ReplyDelete
  30. much better in white. u scored & rocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOL...your gut was telling you yes when your head said "no" but it was meant to be...loved how you worked it for your benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very pretty makeover. I am new to your blog but your now one of my favorites. I am sending you a award. Please drop on by The Craft Cave and check it out.
    http://thecraftcave.blogspot.com

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love your story and your beautiful tray. would you have talked her out of the tray in the parking lot? lol

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! I totally followed a lady around a thrift store last month because she grabbed a glass pitcher before I could get to it. Paid off too, because she put it down and I Swooped it up! As you can see, I'm behind on my reader again ;) LOL! Glad to see you're doing well and crafting it up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love it! Where did you find that white pitcher? I love that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis