12.27.2010

Framing a Window with Molding



Ha!  Yup... this bathroom is  S-L-O-W-L-Y coming along. lol.
Who decides to start a bathroom remodel before Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years!?!?
... WE do!.. lol.
In the future... I'm gonna go ahead and say... "It's probably NOT the best idea." ha!
I already feel like this "bathroom project" has been draaaagging on...
when really, we've only worked on it about 3 times... but have just had to keep pushing our
"plans for finishing portions of it" to the side... due to all the crazy-ness of the holidays and such.

Any-hoo... I thought I would at least show you the small bits that we have finished, to keep you updated on our progress!  And our framed window, above our tub, was what we worked on last :)

So, as you can see here in this picture... we've got the 1x3 inch wood planks up on the two walls, on either side of the tub.
We knew we wanted to do that FIRST... so that when we put up the chunky frame around the window, we wouldn't have to worry about working around the frame... and could just set molding on top of the wood slats.
make sense?...

My Dad is kind of our "Master Window Framer"... so he was called in to help us work on a plan for this large picture window project.


Remember when he helped us with framing out our windows in the bay of our kitchen?


It made such a difference!

When framing out almost ANY window... we usually always start with a 4 inch primed board.
(they sell them at all home improvement stores... and 4 inches always seems to work for our windows, but they sell all size widths.)
Measure out the exact cut that you'll need for around the window, cut that section out... so it almost looks like a big hat... and then lay it right down on the windows ledge, like so...
I actually wanted a thicker looking ledge for this window, so Cason just glued a smaller piece of board underneath our already cut board... to "chunky it up" a bit.
Later I'll go in, and sand it down, and fill in the gap, to make it look like one piece.
Okay... so as soon as your base is in place... you can start doing the fun stuff :)
This is when you need to establish what kind of molding and framing technique you want to use on your window.
I have gotten a LOT of my inspiration from this great book I picked up at Lowe's for about $20 bucks.
I felt like it was a little bit of a splurge, at the time... but once I got home and REALLY sat down with it, and flipped through the pages, I realized how quickly my $20 dollars turned into an investment.
There are a LOT of great rooms, molding ideas, and designs in this book that I'm pulling from, for areas of my own home!  Definitely worth the $$$.

Okay... so I know this isn't the greatest picture in the world, but here is the photo, in my book, that I'm pulling my inspiration from, for my bathroom window.
I love the simplicity of it.  Although we're not going "beachy" in OUR bathroom... I think that this frame type would work well for LOTS of different design styles!

For our supplies we picked up a few 6 inch boards and some brick molding.
My Dad had the brilliant idea to actually nail the piece of brick molding to the boards FIRST... so that we only had to make our 45 degree angle cuts, ONCE... instead of twice... for each set of boards.
...Genius :)

So we cut the boards together... like this, in one big piece.

So that when we adhered the molding to the wall, it was only 3 big pieces, instead of 6.


Make sure you use a level for that top piece... to make sure everything lines up well.



Okay... this is where we ran into a bump in the road.
Remember when we talked about how our awesome builders actually put the window in, off centered from the tub?
Well... if you're not framing a window out, then it's not that big of a deal... but if you are...
then it's a pain!
In order to keep the window looking semetrical, we put up the molding around the window the same on all sides... but then were left with this gaping space.
Really... it's not a HUGE deal... because no one will really see it... being that it is on the backside of the molding... but we want to fill in the wall space with more slat boards, and we didn't want to have to cut small pieces to go in that uneven empty space.

So instead... we used a piece of scrap wood, the same thickness as the slat boards, and some liquid nails, to fill in the space, so it didn't look awkward.




Like so.
I promise it won't look as weird when we caulk and paint it all... but for now, it does loos kind of funny.


So... close up, here's what we've got.
The Inside of the dry walled windows will get a coat of white semi-gloss paint, along with the window molding.
I'm thinking I want to paint the slats satin or eggshell white, so they aren't TOO shiny.


This is what the big picture looks like.
Still LOTS of filling, caulking, and sanding to go.
And we also have to finish putting up the last few planks above the window, with a piece of quarter round on the top... between the ceiling and boards... to finish it off.


I think it looks a bit "sauna - ish" right now. LOL... with the wood planks NOT painted... so hopefully I'll get the look I'm going for, once everything is painted white, and we have a really neat lighting fixture over the tub!
(more on lighting, for this bathroom later...)

We're getting excited!... it's coming together... and we're getting closer to our "vision" that we originally had in mind!
... Now if I could just find a maid and chef... to do all my OTHER work... then life would be goooood :)


21 comments:

  1. Love framed windows! I am featuring this tonight at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how great the window looks framed in. It is going to be so fabulous when it is all completed. I may or may not be notorious about starting big projects right before the holidays or before a big trip...:)! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Can I borrow your Dad? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too loved the look of framed windows, especially the more chunky, substantial ones. I am so glad you posted this. I have 4 windows in our front room that have been naked for over 5 years. I wanted to finally tackle that project because I will not be doing any window treatments in there ~ just molding. Glorious molding!

    It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lookin' good! I'm excited to see it completed. Hope you have more projects on the back burners. I would like to add decorative molding/wainscotting all over my living/dining room, so I think I'll check out Lowe's today to see if I can find that Design Idea Book. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of the wood planks! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Curious to know what kind of paint treatment, if any, you are using on the planks surrounding the bath tub. We have been searching for an inexpensive fix in our bathroom tub surround that looks great too! Love the moldings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be fabulous! I love your chunky framing. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    I wrote a post a couple of months ago about bathroom lighting safety that you might find helpful as you plan your lighting.

    http://houserevivals.blogspot.com/2010/10/e-is-for-electricity-and-water.html

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! what a project. but then again, aren't they all? the window looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love the chunkiness of the window frame and the planks! One day I will have the courage to tackle something like this....for now I need to finish my project on the kitchen :)

    www.a beautifulcottagehome.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I love it! :) We are going to be framing all of our windows in our house. I just have a question.

    My hubby and I are debating on how we want to do it. I prefer your method with the wood piece inside the window, he does not like how the wood actually meets the bottom of the actual window. I just want to know if that bugs you at all? If it is something you wish you would have done differently from the start? I don't think their is a problem with it one bit.

    Let me know! :)

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too would like to borrow your dad! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be AMAZING...can I borrow you for a month? We just moved into our new "blank canvas" home...and the possibilities are endless. Thank you for sharing your talents. I often think of your pantry...I have a small crush on it ;)!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so great! Never heard of that chunky brick moulding?! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love following along with your projects and just the fun stuff you bring. your window is looking great! very excited for you and look forward to it being complete as i know you are too! nice work from dad and carson too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welp! You inspired me now! :)
    http://hatchlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW can I say love your blog and you!!!! so happy makes me happy just letting you know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just recently discovered your site/blog. LOVE it! Thank you! I too, have a very large window in my master bath and I'm struggling. This window is not a privacy window, so we are looking into replacing the glass or add window treatments to create privacy. What did you guys do with your window?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Thumbs up to your dad for being such a great handyman! I, too, agree with the part in the magazine that says “details make the difference.” You don’t really need intricate knowledge of window designs and treatments to know what will look good in your home, but paying attention to details, such as colors and materials, definitely helps to make it all look better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Casings are the moldings that go around the window frames. They are installed outside the house to seal the window frame to the house blocking cold air from entering the interior.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis