2.08.2010

Thrift Store Towel Hanger Revamp

{Chic .50 Cent Thrift Store Find, Re-do}

So a trip to DI (Deseret Industries) is a weekly event for me. I usually find at least one thing that I can't pass up for a dollar or so.  This last time I was there, I found this SUPER cute, but kinda banged up, door knob, wall hanger thing, for .50 cents....yes, that is what they are called
Anyway, I immediately had an idea, where I wanted to put it! The girls' bathroom!
So I went to work.

BEFORE




I knew I was going to paint it white, so I taped off the crystal knob, so it wouldn't get over spray on it.

I painted it flat white with a can of .98 cent spray paint.
Took some sandpaper to the edges, and then sprayed a final coat of clear gloss, protective spray.
It turned out a little something like this!

Then I was off to remove the existing towel ring holder, guy.
(sorry, don't have a picture)
After I removed the piece of hardware, I started to unscrew the two little screws that take off the bracket... and THATS when I ran into problems.......
and resorted to using ... THESE tools.

As you can see, the top screw is just fine... It came out nice and easy... The bottom screw however... that was NOT the case.  It stripped TWO screwdrivers, and wouldn't budge... I was getting ANGRY, so I took this mini crow bar thingy, and a hammer... and chizzled that sucker off!


Once I got it partially out of the wall... I started twisting it, and saw what the problem was...

HELLO... big Daddy plastic, screw putter inner thing!
yes... that's ALSO what that is called

The screw was so tight in there, I couldn't just manually take it out.
They did it, because there was no stud. Makes sense... but STILL a pain in the booty!

HEEEEEEELLLLOOOOO....
Look at that HOLE! I think I can see my kitchen from here....

K, moving on...
I knew that this little towel hanger guy was gonna get a LOT of use, from all the girls, so a tiny little hook or nail, wasn't going to work.
Bring on my new BFF... Command picture hanging strips!
LOOOOVE them!
I buy a pack EVERY time I'm at the hardware store. They REALLY are the BEST!
I used the medium size HERE, for these guys too! The BEST things EVER!
You put them on the back of ANYTHING flat, and wa-la! No moving, or having to re-straighten, and if... (in my case... WHEN) you are ready to change up your decor, you can simply take off the decor, and pull the tabs, to reveal a clean, hole FREE wall!
**dang, I sound like a commercial!**

This is my finished product!
So cute, right!?
I got this sweet pink printed towel from Target, on clearance!


AFTER



I love the way it turned out... and this was SUPER easy! No husband required!
just a hammer and mini crowbar. lol.

25 comments:

  1. SO CUTE!! I can't believe that was only .50 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Shelley. I love that! I am thinking about redoing my 1/2 bath on my main floor. I love those colors!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most amazing talent for finding the beautiful inside nearly everything!I was inspired by you (just to clean out a few cupboard nothing gorgeous like your projects)
    Can I link your house blog in my post?
    Ex
    Ps when you have outfitted your house with gorgeous decor...maybe you can keep doing projects like this and sell them on the net and you and Cason can have lots and lots of $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! What a great idea for a towel holder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it! Glass door nobs(sp?) are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So shabby chic pretty! I love it. You have me totally wanting to get some of those command hook strips now. Next time I see them, in the cart they are going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG GIRL, I LOVE THIS!! SOO ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is VERY cute - perfect for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is the cutest idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, that is the best find!! Great job making it even cuter than it was! P.S. I still haven't left your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the CUTEST thing ever!!! I would LOVE one of these!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I picked one of those up at a yard sale too. I think I paid a dollar though. What a cute use for it...Hmmmm, wondering if I could work it into my bathroom redo?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny. I have that EXACT door knob hanger thingy! The EXACT one! I still love it, but I am so loving it white!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also have one of those thingies!! I got it at the Biltmore gift-shop and I believe I paid slightly more than 50 cents. Mine is also hanging in the bathroom, but I never thought to use it to hold washcloths - great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Call me your stalker but I have been looking for one of these things since I saw your post. As you know, its not easy to find something again (and for as cheap) that you found at the D.I. However, I found one at Hobby Lobby. I nearly screamed in delight. A little crazy?? Mine was about 500% more than 50 cents but I am pleased nonetheless. Just thought I would share my story :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOU ROCK!!! & are so funny in your blogs. This is so cute I want one too. You find the BEST deals. I wish I had that (DI) store where I live. My Goodwill (sorry) has gone krazy with their prices. I guess I need to seek out other thrift shops. It is just close by. I stumbled onto your Halloween Blog looking for Black & White ideas. Super COOL!!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I JUST LUV THIS!!! GREAT IDEA, CANT WAIT TO LOOK AT ALL YOUR IDEAS AND PROJECTS! i HAVE STARTED A 2013 DIY PROJECT LIST AND I PLAN ON DOING THEM TILL I DO THEM ALL, AND I JUST ADDED THIS TO MY LIST, SO THANK YOU FOR BEING SO CREATIVE SO THE REST OF US CAN FOLLOW!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HA! I love your big Daddy plastic, screw putter inner thing... Lol Definitely a better name than drywall anchor. ANYWAY, love the idea! Crystal door knobs are my absolute favorite part of antique decor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful. I was hoping you made it because I've been looking for one of these for my girls' backpacks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis