12.02.2010

Christmas Gift Ideas


My cute friend Kari from Ucreate asked me a few weeks ago, to think of a good idea for her,
"7 days of perfect gifts for co-workers, neighbors, friends, teachers.. etc." feature!
You MUST check it out... these are some super talented ladies, with GREAT ideas! :)

I have to say, that it was a little bit challenging to think of JUST one! lol.
So here are three, that I thought would be fun to giveaway to friends and neighbors, this year!...
You can get all the vinyl decals from our shop, The House of Smiths Designs.

The first was actually my brothers idea!
He came up with this fun saying and put it in his own home.  I LOVE it!  It just speaks volumes about how "we roll" as a family. LOL.
I thought it would be fun to tweak it a bit and put it on a small board, with some "make-shift" mistletoe!


All I did was take a piece of scrap wood I had in the garage,
Paint it with some leftover blue paint we had from the kitchen... Sand down the edges, and then ink them with
"Distress Ink" that I got from my local craft store.
Then I applied the vinyl and a claw hanger on the back... and, Wa-La!
Cute sign, ready to go! :)





I also picked up these leaved, green berries, and a small bunch of some white berries, and tied them with some white fabric... to make... 
"my own mistletoe," since all I could find at the store was red mistletoe.
It's probably not the most traditional looking, but it goes with all the other Christmas decor in my home,
... so, it's staying...lol


. . . 

My Next gift is a, pretty simple, really inexpensive one!
So... you see those white berries up there, in my "mistletoe?"  Well... I had some left over,
so I was trying to figure out how to use them.
If you read my blog regularly... then you know that I'm a pathological picture taker. LOL.
Whenever I can... I snap pictures of whatever moment I'm in.  I just LOVE looking back at the memories!
Needless to say, I have GOBS of pictures that usually just sit in my computer... to never REALLY be appreciated.
So I thought this next idea was a REALLY good one, for all those great pictures that you have, of close friends or neighbors... that don't make it into a frame.

I purchased these large, clear, plastic ornaments at Michaels Crafts, and put some of the leftover berry stems, inside.


Then I sized down and printed (using photoshop elements)
a photo of my friend Laci and I.
I also added a little "2010" to the bottom of the photo, so that she could remember what year the picture was taken.

Then I used a foam bump out sticker, to make the photo stand out a bit from the paper... just to give it some more visual interest.


Then I folded it, neatly in half... making sure not to crease it...
and placed it inside the ornament.
After this... I used some tweezers, to straighten out the picture a bit, and move it where I wanted it.

Then I added some "Laci inspired ribbion" ha!
and done!


This gift would have to be my favorite... because it's not only cute, but sentimental.
And you can give it alone... or attach it onto an additional gift!
I don't know about you, but I love pulling out old pictures, and things that remind me of great friends, and moments in my life :)


. . .

This next idea was inspired from one of my favorite Christmas songs :)
I pretty much used the same idea for painting and prepping this wood, as I did, for the Mistletoe saying.
Except I didn't use any distress ink, because I liked the color of the warm wood, peeking through.
This 1.5 x 7 inch piece of chunky wood is GREAT size to give as a gift, because it doesn't require a  plate stand... and is beefy enough to stand on it's own!
I DID round the edges of the wood a bit, with a router and sand paper... but you don't have to :)


Then I just paired up this small board with a $1.97 jar, that I bought at Walmart, adorned with our families name and a ribbon...
and filled it with some Hershey's Mint Truffle kisses.
what?  You haven't tried these?  You're missing out!
I usually get a bag eat half on the way home and put them in the freezer, for a slow melting, cool treat!
Ooo... they are DEVINE!


. . .

Okay... so I couldn't stop myself at just 3 gift ideas... how about one more!!!
(hmm... sound like a game show host, much?... lol)
Alright...So, I thought this would be a great gift to give, if you DON'T celebrate Christmas, or if you would rather give a gift to your neighbor, friend, or family member that will last ALL year!
And the best part... is that it's REALLY simple, quick and easy!

I just bought this plain, square, white plate from Walmart for... I think about $3 or $4 dollars.
and then put these two vinyl decals on the top and bottom!

Then I attached a dry erase marker to the back of the plate, with a piece of Velcro...
for easy access when needing to write notes down, in the kitchen, that you don't want to forget! :)
I thought this idea would work well, because it can go in ANY style kitchen :)

Okay... WHEW!  I think that's it!
Between these, and all the other great "neighbor" gifts already posted on Kari's blog... there's GOT to be an idea, that you can use, for those fabulous neighbors, friends and co-workers!






89 comments:

  1. i love the ornament idea. it is so so cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I {LOVE} your blog!!! These ideas are all so fantastic!! I cant wait to try some of them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these ideas! Especially the sweet ornament! Could you PLEASE tell me the name of the font "GIFT" is written in on your neighbor gift ideas header? I need it for my Christmas card design!!! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely ideas, especially the ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I as already impressed then you pulled out the notes plate!!!! Love it. I think I love it even more because of the plate choice, the square white, classy.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You are amazing! You are so crafty! You have a great mind - to think up some of these crafty sweet ideas! I love the plate one - that is sooo great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have great style AND are so creative! I love stopping by to see what you have come up with. GREAT gift ideas!
    Amy
    11Magnolialane.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vinyl is gorgeous! Great ideas- all very classy and lovely! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I WILL be ordering one of those Mistletoe vinyl's for next year. You are going to sell them right?! I love it!

    Oh and my rug came today--it's perfect! I will post pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelley..you are amazing! Won't you be my neighbor?(Are you having Seasame Street flashbacks?) Oh how I wish you could be my neighbor! I can't wait to give all my girls an ornament. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shelley - I ADORE your blog, girl! And your gift ideas just rock! Thank you for sharing them with us and giving us a little extra inspiration today. :) I'm your newest follower - and looking forward to more great ideas from you! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all these ideas! The plate is especially brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously these ideas are awesome. I just made ornaments today but I think I'm going to make yours to give to my old college friends as a surprise in the mail. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them all. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ideas! I will probably steal the ornament idea for all of my friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great ideas! I want to let you know that I featured this on my craft blog. http://aftrroadmap.blogspot.com/2010/12/friend-ornament.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all great ideas! Thanks for the inspiration. I LOVE the plate (and the ornament). Awesome, inexpensive, and simple gifts. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these ideas....I'm officially adding the ornament idea to my ever-increasing Holiday To-Make list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in LOVE with these ideas!! Since I don't have neighbors, I will make some of these and give them to my sis-in-laws! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute ideas! Love the ornament idea, I think I might do something like that for my baby's first Christmas instead of the traditional "baby's first christmas" ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am always looking for cute ideas for Christmas gifts that won't break my bank. I love your ideas. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such great ideas, as always, Shelley! What if you put fake snow in the ornament with the picture or glitter...you've got my wheels turning!:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all your ideas, but that red wood block is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all of these! Your blog and your creativity are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the ideas! Love the blog. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there I just wanted to let you know Country Living is on the hunt for great craft bloggers on FB so I left a comment with your blog website...I truly adore all the neat crafts you blog about...Thanks for the inspiration : ) Aja

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all the ideas! Very creative. Love the ornament.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute! Thank you for the details on how to make this clever ornament!

    Mary
    From Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE the ornament idea. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Me gusta mucho! Just shared a link on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are adorable! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The ornament idea is so thoughtful. I know I would just gush if my friend gave one to me. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love these ideas!! I was wanting to find a simple gift for my family since we are expecting our first baby (a little girl) really soon!! (Due on Monday..ahh!) :) I think the ornament is a perfect idea. I'll put her little picture in there and it's something I can make cheap and in quantity! Thanks for the great idea (as always) :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm your newest and biggest fan!! ;) You have an awesome blog! I'm in love with the adorable mistletoe saying and the photo ornament :) Thanks for sharing such great ideas and tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome ideas...but question! Where do you get your vinyl from? I see so many crafts with all these cute phrases and I'm cluless about how to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. hi, love all your ideas! Could you share what size you made your photo in elements and I feel a bit clueless for asking this but what is a "bump out sticker?" :) I just have never heard of them. Thanks so much for all sharing all your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  37. I usually don't leave comments, but I couldn't help myself today! First things first, I LOVE your blog!!! And second, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, your idea for the plate. I now know what I will be giving to EVERYONE this year!! Thanks, and keep up the good work! (could I use any more exclamation marks)?!?!? =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG! These are all so amazing! Your blog is very inspirational! I love looking through it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love all your ideas! I'm posting the mistletoe sign on my blog next week!! SO CUTE! Thank you so much for sharing! little-inspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh I am so in love with your ideas!!! what size did you make the photo for inside the ornament? that is such a great idea for grandparents!!!! You are a genius! I love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Came over from Designer Garden. LOVE the ornament idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just wanted to let you know that you're on the map!

    http://aftrroadmap.blogspot.com/2010/12/friend-ornament.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. My Christmas wish is that I could move in next door to you so I could receive one of those mistletoe signs! And...distress ink?!? I never knew such a glorious thing exisited. Mmmmmm....

    Your sign inspired a mistletoe themed post on my new craft blog:
    http://onesietwosie.blogspot.com/2010/12/blame-it-on-mistletoe.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love your blog! These are great ideas! Where did you find the plate stand thing? It is a cute one!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the ornament. I do a similar one with transparency film but I like yours better. I string fishing line through the top and adhere it to the top of the ball so the photo stays in place. Thanks for the inspiration. Think I'll change mine up this year.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm a new to your blog and you're amazing! I was wondering if you could share where you got your plate stand for your Notes plate. It's so charming and I haven't been able to find anything like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love your photo ornament idea.. and all the rest of them too! I'm adding it to my Pintrest Challenge for the month and am going to post it on my blog http://delusionsofasupermom.blogspot.com/ Thank you so much for the wonderful idea and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  48. LOVE the plate idea! So simple and adorable. Would've never thought of it myself.

    Love these ideas and plan on trying a few.
    -AlishaMichelle
    CookLoveCraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I just ran across your blog, because your ornament was on pinterest! :) I love your blog so far, and will be looking at it for ideas on a regular basis now. One question, did you use any ribbon or anything to keep the picture in place inside the ornament or did it just stay on its own?

    ReplyDelete
  50. where did you get the vinyl decals on the plate?

    ReplyDelete
  51. how big (dimensions) was the picture in this ornament? I tried it and my picture seemed too big for my bulb... please help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have the same question as Lauren what were you dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  53. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love love love your blog and have gotten so many great ideas from you! I do have a question though, I'm trying to make the ornament gift and can't get my photo to stay in place. Did you use anythink to keep it from moving? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Cute, But "Wa-La" Is actually the french word Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Cute, But "Wa-La" Is actually the french word Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I need some Eid gift idea to Send Gifts To Pakistan on Eid day for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Do you use uppercase living to do your vinyl? Or have you at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thanks for sharing this set of instructions. Really informative.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Amazing gift ideas you share i like to share this to their friends,thanks for sharing this ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  61. This is spectacular, i like the ideas you presented here and that will help me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I think i would have a hard time giving a Mistletoe gift because it seems to promote the idea that more kissing needs to be given at that house lol. Or think i am trying to get some myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Great ideas, I feel personalised gifts are the best! It's a great way of showing you have spent time and effort in choosing a special gift for them!

    ReplyDelete
  64. The Christmas gift idea still works in 2012. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Would love to know the dimensions of the picture for the ornament..thanks..these would be a cute little thank you gift to include with my photo sessions...

    ReplyDelete
  66. where do you get the foam bump sticker for the picture on for the ornament? Is that what it is call foam bump sticker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. an art/craft store. i found mine at michael's in the scrapbook aisle!

      Delete
  67. i have just tried this twice, my picture keeps bending, what size should it be? did you use regular copy paper or actual picture paper?

    ReplyDelete
  68. Pinterest sent me your way and I am thrilled! First of all, I married into the Smith clan and just love the name of your blog! Secondly, I just finished making my first ornament. Our grandfather passed away recently and last Christmas was very difficult for my family because Christmas was his favorite holiday and many of traditions revolve around him. I decided to make oranments for each of my family members so they could have a piece of Grandpa during Christmas. I searched and searched through my parents photos and was able to find a picture of each of my siblings interacting with grandpa during a Christmas event. I couldn't believe it! Since I am making quite a few of these I thought I would see if you had any suggestions. I shrunk my first picture down to wallet size but that still seems large. Do you recall what size your photo was? Secondly, how did you stabilize it? I am afraid once it goes into storage and knocked around the picture will be flipped /flopped? Any suggestions would be great. I am one of 11 kids so I will be making quite a few.....any helpful tips would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa!
      The size was about an inch x 3/4 of an inch. It was pretty small.
      I put the picture in with a little sprig of garland to keep it from rolling around too much, but you could also put in some fake snow or something to keep it even more stabilized (?)
      Good luck!

      Delete
  69. Hi Kelly!

    I'm a new fan of this house! I can only hope one day I'll be as creative as you! This plate idea is perfect for my mother-in-law. Did you make the vinyl decals? Or buy them? I've been searching and can't seem to find these perfect decals anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan,
      You can find them here: http://www.thehouseofsmithsdesigns.com/
      :)

      Delete
  70. Love the sign! I have a question, where do you get vinyl letters or do you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  71. thanks for sharing great Christmas decorating ideas by fairynblushes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  72. Cute ideas! Here is an idea for someone looking for something a little funkier maybe :) https://www.etsy.com/listing/116545127/mr-and-mrs-mug-his-and-her-mustache-and

    ReplyDelete
  73. These are fantastic ideas! I especially love the snowglobe/photo/ornament idea! Homemade gifts are always a great idea-- we actually listed them as one of the top ten things to give this season at our blog: http://www.whimsicalwinds.com/Whimsical-Winds-Blog/2012/11/gift-ideas-10-no-fail-gift-ideas-for-the-holiday-shopping-season/
    Thanks for this post and the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  74. I love your crafts! I have a quick question. Do you apply Modge podge or polyurethane over your vinyl letters for your wooden crafts?

    ReplyDelete
  75. I love your ideas! I'm trying to use your Christmas ornament idea, but I'm running into trouble getting the picture in the bulb and then flops around. About how big was your picture/paper? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I am about to try making a sign like the first one for a late Christmas gift! Do you spray something over the vinyl just to make sure it won't peel off?
    Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Hi, Trying to make 200 photo ornaments for my wedding December. I bought the 3 inch clear ornaments from Michaels and can't get the photo to get in and stay in. I thought the berries behind the pic might be the trick, but no luck. Did you have issues with that? Any advice is much apprecaited.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Love your blog and this project - so creative and personalized and such a great way to add memories to your tree! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis