3.17.2010

Finished Board and Batten Wall Treatment

{Board and Batten Wall Finished}
Gosh, I know... it took long enough, right!? lol.
We have been a bit sickly here at the Smith house lately and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.
We've had this wall done for a while now, but just finished painting the wall above the B&B yesterday.
So here it is!


This room is far from finished, but I wanted to share our progress so far!
The owner seems to like it!... :)

I have about 6 projects in the works right now, and can't seem to finish up ANY of them. lol.
That doesn't happen to anyone else, right!?!? :)

Here is the wall before


and
During
**you can read more about this catastrophe HERE. lol**


I was debating on whether or not to show you the room, until it was "finished".
But since I have to wait another 4 weeks for her headboard to arrive, I still haven't finished picking out her bedding, have a bench to build and a nightstand to buy... and THOSE aren't even any of the 6 projects I have in the works.........weeeeeeell, I thought it would be better to show you now, rather that later. LOL

Here is the post I did for how I put up the board and batten. 
I don't think I mentioned in there though that these boards are SUPER cheap!
My neighbor Ronda told me about them.
She did her son's room with these boards and I LOVED the look, and the price, so I tried them!

K... so here is the cost breakdown.
These boards come in only one size.
16 feet x about 3.5 inches.
At MY Lowe's they are only $4.60 a board!!!
BUT here's the tricky part (Ronda, help me out here)
They are NOT located by the wood.  They are actually used for concrete expansion forming, and are made out of a compact fiber board material.  So they are by the outside, home building supplies.
At our location, they are on the floor at the VERY back corner of the store on the right... you know where I'm talking about??

Anyway... we bought 10 boards... finished THIS wall, AND we are planning on doing a grid wall in our laundry room with hooks... just like Fawn, from Frugal Home Designs.
I've been obsessed with her B&B entryway with hooks, for a WHILE now!!!  I love the look!
and I have PLENTY of supplies for both projects!!!
I LOVE this stuff!
Try it out!  It's a great way to have custom Board and Batten, without breaking the bank!

Tips: 
* This product IS made from fibrous compressed wood... so it's flimsy and will break easily.  Be careful when transporting the large boards.  They will bend and crack, of not stable.
*  Primer is a MUST with this product!  It's pretty porous, so you'll definitely need to prime the wood first.
* When you get the board, you'll notice that there are TWO sides.  One is completely squared off... and on the flip-side... there is ONE edge that is rounded.
I made sure to put the side that had the rounded edge, ON the wall, so you couldn't see it.
*it will make more sense when you actually SEE the board* 
The rounded edge is actually kind of nice, if your're making a top piece to your molding look.  You can put the rounded edge on the top, for a finished look.

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you come up with to make this room complete. The room with the bunk beds is fantastic. I love the chandelier and the knobs from Anthropologie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic. I wish I had known about the MDF when we did our little girl's room. We used unfinished wood and it REALLY soaked up the paint. IF you are interested you can see her room here:
    http://pgmscraps.blogspot.com/2010/03/nursey-to-little-girl-room.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I just reread your post and realized how MUCH cheaper that board is, I really wish we had known about it now. I also wanted to let you know I linked to your blog in my post if that is ok, if not just let me know and I will take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I wish I could do this in my powder bathroom - not in the budget right now, but I'm bookmarking this post for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome girl! We actually board and battened our entranceway last night! We're painting it tomorrow and I hope it's all done in time to link up with the party. I laughed out loud when after we were done putting up our boards, I logged on and saw the party. Can't wait to see all your projects that you've got going on. You're always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I waited until I finished a room - I don't think anyone would ever see it - plus, we are SLOW at our home. Our office will probably take at least a year! Your B&B looks great - I'm wondering where I could put it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thanks for the shout out that is so sweet. That B&B makes such a difference in the room, very beautiful. Great job. Can't wait to see the laundry room :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors of the bedding! It wouldn't even cross my mind but now I'm like HMMmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am impressed with the variety of talents you share with us all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband did the most beautiful wainscoting in our master bedroom, but we are struggling on how to paint it. Do you use a roller or brush on your projects (bead board, batten board, and in our case wainscoting)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband did the most beautiful wainscoting in our master bedroom, but we are struggling on how to paint it. Do you use a roller or brush on your projects (bead board, batten board, and in our case wainscoting)?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments. We truly love and appreciate each one!

ShareThis